Monday, July 28, 2008

Joy (Ting Ting)

I know I said I would try to feature a kid and day, and I realize that was a couple weeks ago, but this month has just flown by! My birthday completely snuck up on me, and the month is nearly over. It is hard to believe that I have already been here as long as I was here last year total.

Firstly, I am happy to report that Mei Mei is doing much better! She is still a very weak little girl, but she wanted to try to walk the other day so we tried. It made her so happy!




AND NOW IT'S TIME TO MEET ANOTHER KID!!!!
Today I want you to meet Ting Ting. Here English name is Joy, and that she is full of for sure, but I prefer to call her by her Chinese name.



Ting Ting was abandoned at the gate of Lang Fang Children's Village (the location of PHF before Shepherd's Field was built) on July 27, 2005. A passerby had discovered her at around 5 a.m. and knocked on the door of the sleeping quarters. Joy was wrapped in a red blanket with a hat covering her face. Inserted in the fold of the blanket was her picture that had her Chinese name, TingTing, and her birthday, January 26, 2005 written on the back of it. Somebody just turned 3!

Joy had cerebral paralysis and received surgery in November if 2005. Before this, she could hardly see. When she was abandoned here, her head was huge due to hydrocephalus. They inserted a shunt to help drain the water in her brain. She has such light hair for a Chinese person, and lighter skin as well. She is very smart and loves to count the tiles on the Hands of Hope wall outside. One of her favorite things is playing outside.





3 comments:

eveboger said...

Tabitha,

I love these individual glimpses into the kids. Joy looks like she is a true joy, and I am so happy you are having fun with the kids. Love the "this is my boyfriend" shirt!

Eve

Elizabeth Pansa Stephens said...

Tabitha,

If you did not know that she was Chinese, you would think that she had some American in her. How cute is she.... I hope that you are having a wonderful time. We all miss you here. Give the children hugs from the whole Pansa gang...

Elizabeth

Unknown said...

She is precious. I have a TingTing as well - but she will not allow us to call her that since it also means stop and apparently she heard that often when she was little. LOL