Saturday, June 14, 2008

Camping on the Wall of Greatness






Camping on the Great Wall...something I have always wanted to do. Now I have done it. And I would do it again. We started at the JinShanLing section of the wall and hiked to the Simitai section. Hands down, this is the BEST section of the wall. I still have a few more sections to go to before I can say with utmost certainty, but this is far less touristy and not as restored (some of it is even unrestored and looks like its ready to fall down) as the other, more touristy, crowded sections.

This was definitely an interesting experience. My lovely roommate here, who is great by the way, invited me to come along on the trip with her and some friends from her church. She goes to a Mormon church, likewise, I was the only non-mormon there.

Mormonism is something I find fascinating. I don't know a whole lot about it though. I know enough to know that what I believe is very different than them. Before I left for China, I taped a 4 hour special on it and didn't find time to watch it. Believe me, I have been kicking myself for this.

Needless to say, the situation left me a slightly uncomfortable, but then I realized those are the situations we are supposed to put ourselves in every day. To live comfortably and safely in no way benefits anyone. That would be a boring and meaningless life. You do things that scare you and stretch you to grow as a person. We need to step out of the box of everyday life and embrace people that need embracing. They may not want it, but offer your hand anyway. Somebody will eventually grab it.

No comments: